For those individuals interested in a career in physical therapy, California provides excellent employment and career prospects.
With a vibrant and growing healthcare sector, physical therapist assistants can find a wide variety of careers in California.
This is especially true given the increase in California’s eldercare sector, which is a major source of employment for physical therapist assistants.
The Physical Therapist Assistant
Physical therapy assistants, often known as physical therapist assistants, provide a vital service in the healthcare sector.
Working with physical therapists, they help plan, implement and evaluate physical therapy programs designed to assist individuals to effectively regain movement control, as well as to restore their former endurance and muscle strength.
The duties of the physical therapist assistant commonly include the following:
- Physical therapist assistants assist the physical therapist and other medical professionals in developing a physical therapy plan for the patient that takes the patient’s specific needs into account. After the implementation of the plan, the physical therapist assistant will also work to evaluate the progress of the patient and determine if the current physical therapy plan will require modification.
- Physical therapy assistants work to instruct the patient in how to perform any physical therapy exercises in a way that will maximize their benefit. This often includes instruction in how to effectively and safely use physical therapy equipment.
- In many cases, the physical therapy assistant will play a major role in training mobility-impaired individuals in how to safely use devices such as walkers and canes. This will also include instruction in how to safely enter and exit baths, and whether or not further safety equipment will be required. In many cases, the physical therapist assistant will also discuss these matters with in home caregivers.
- Many physical therapist assistants currently provide in-home care for mobility impaired individuals, as well as those who have been recently discharged from a hospital.
Physical Therapist Assistants and Eldercare
Many physical therapy assistants are involved in the eldercare sector. Because many of the elderly suffer from various types of dementia, in many cases physical therapy assistants will have to be skilled at working with individuals who may be confused, frightened or otherwise noncompliant.
For this reason, many physical therapy assistants who specialize in eldercare may require additional training to prepare them for the unique challenges in providing effective care to the elderly.
Becoming a Physical Therapy Assistant in California
California requires that all physical therapy assistants be licensed by the state before they will be allowed to practice. State licensure requires that the candidate have completed an accredited physical therapist assistant program as well as having successfully taken and passed the national physical therapy exam.
Additionally, California permits licensure by endorsement for those individuals who currently have a physical therapy assistant’s license in another state.
Physical Therapist Assistant Programs
Physical therapy assistant programs are usually offered by community colleges and vocational institutions. These programs require that the student be 18 years or older and have graduated from high school or have an equivalency degree. In most cases, successful graduates receive an associate’s degree.
Most physical therapy assistant programs allow students to attend on a part-time basis, in order to accommodate students who are currently working. Part-time schedules usually focus on evening and weekend classes, permitting the student to complete the program on his or her own terms. Some classes can also be taken online, although physical therapy assistant programs include a hands-on clinical aspect that cannot be obtained via online classes.
It is very important that the student verify that his or her program has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). California does not accept physical therapy assistant coursework performed at a non-accredited institution. Students wishing to verify that their school is currently in good standing should check with CAPTE before enrolling.
Physical Therapist Assistant Schools In California
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
The National Exam
After completion of the physical therapy assistant program, the student must take and pass the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE). This is a comprehensive exam that verifies the student’s professional and academic skills. A student is only permitted to take the NPTE three times in any given year and must pay the test fee for each test date. For this reason, a candidate should only take the test once he or she is confident of passing it.
The California Law Exam
Finally, the Physical Therapy Board of California requires that all candidates take the California Law Exam (CLE).
This exam is designed to evaluate the candidate’s understanding of the rights and responsibilities of the physical therapy assistant under California law. Unlike the NPTE, there is no limitation on how many times the candidate may repeat the test.
Licensure by Endorsement
An individual who is currently licensed to practice as a physical therapy assistant in another state may be licensed by endorsement. This allows the individual to simply take the CLE and register as a California physical therapy assistant. However, the individual must obtain a California license in order to practice in the state, regardless of his or her status in another state.
Physical Therapist Assistants and the Job Market
Currently, the physical therapy sector is growing at a sustained and rapid pace. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the current rate of growth in physical therapy assistant careers will see the number of available jobs increase by 45 percent until 2020.
Furthermore, this profession benefits from extremely competitive salary levels when compared to similar professions.
Becoming a physical therapy assistant allows an individual to enter a well-compensated and respected field. With the increasing important of physical therapy to the well-being of America’s citizens, this field will only continue to grow in size and importance. For these reasons, becoming a physical therapy assistant can be an excellent career choice.
Health Care Schools In California
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- MS: Healthcare Administration: 42-hour
- And more...
- Change your life! Ultimate Medical Academy will be here every step of the way.
- UMA is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed.
- Once you enroll, you’ll receive individualized student services like: Flexible online learning, Academic support, Access to one-on-one and group tutoring.
- UMA’s Online Associate Degree Program offerings is tailored the meet the needs of the healthcare industry.
- Since 1994, UMA has educated thousands of students across the nation at our online and Clearwater, FL campuses.
- A criminal background check is an enrollment requirement at Ultimate Medical Academy.
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
Trident University International provides an exceptional online educational experience for its students – diverse adult learners including current and former members of the military family. Adhering to the highest standards of academic excellence, faculty and staff foster a learning community where students develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to enhance their lives and advance their careers.
- Health Sciences (Ph.D.)
- Certificate in Medical Coding and Billing
- Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences
- Trusted San Antonio college and Institution of the Year 2018 offering campus-based and online accredited programs in Aviation Maintenance, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Business, and Nursing.
- Accelerated programs designed with affordability and convenience in mind. Achieve your professional goals faster and affordably. Financial aid, scholarships, and U.S. veterans benefits available.
- Hallmark University offers master’s, bachelor’s, and associate’s degrees that align with current industry needs to give graduates the best opportunity for success.
- Hallmark's Student Affairs’ team works directly with industry leaders to assist students in securing employment after they graduate. Our goal is 90% placement within 90 days of graduation!
- Hallmark's 20:1 student-teacher ratio allow instructors to give students constant, personal help and attention. And with 6 terms a year, you never need to wait to apply. Get started today!
- Bachelor of Science - Nursing
Unitek College – About Us
Unitek College™ is a privately held vocational school dedicated to helping you gain the skills needed to advance your career or begin a brand new career. Your training at Unitek College will position you to take advantage of the rising demand for experts in allied health, nursing, and technology professions. Our programs include Medical Assisting, Dental Assisting, Vocational Nursing, and Bachelor of Science in Nursing: RN-to-BSN Degree Completion.
- Vocational Nursing
- Medical Assisting
At UEI College, we want you to succeed. We’re like a family and we want you to be a part of it. From the moment you enter ourschool, to graduation and beyond, we are right there with you.
- Medical Assistant (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Dental Assistant (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Medical Billing & Insurance Coding (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Certified Nurse Assistant
- Medical Assisting
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Nursing Assistant
- Medical Assisting
- Administrative Medical Assistant
- And more...
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School is a private Bible college composed of undergraduate, accelerated undergraduate and graduate learners.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School's mission has remained constant since 1933:
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School offers 50+ majors, 8 academic departments and a variety of mission/ministry groups.
- Lancaster Bible College's programs offer flexible degree formats. Our programs allow you to continue working in your current field, and apply life experiences as credits in certain instances.
- Lancaster Bible College|Capital Seminary & Graduate School believes that God gave you a unique set of gifts. Now, He's giving you the opportunity to use them
- Healthcare Management