For those individuals interested in a career in physical therapy, California provides excellent employment and career prospects.
With a vibrant and growing healthcare sector, physical therapist assistants can find a wide variety of careers in California.
This is especially true given the increase in California’s eldercare sector, which is a major source of employment for physical therapist assistants.
The Physical Therapist Assistant
Physical therapy assistants, often known as physical therapist assistants, provide a vital service in the healthcare sector.
Working with physical therapists, they help plan, implement and evaluate physical therapy programs designed to assist individuals to effectively regain movement control, as well as to restore their former endurance and muscle strength.
The duties of the physical therapist assistant commonly include the following:
- Physical therapist assistants assist the physical therapist and other medical professionals in developing a physical therapy plan for the patient that takes the patient’s specific needs into account. After the implementation of the plan, the physical therapist assistant will also work to evaluate the progress of the patient and determine if the current physical therapy plan will require modification.
- Physical therapy assistants work to instruct the patient in how to perform any physical therapy exercises in a way that will maximize their benefit. This often includes instruction in how to effectively and safely use physical therapy equipment.
- In many cases, the physical therapy assistant will play a major role in training mobility-impaired individuals in how to safely use devices such as walkers and canes. This will also include instruction in how to safely enter and exit baths, and whether or not further safety equipment will be required. In many cases, the physical therapist assistant will also discuss these matters with in home caregivers.
- Many physical therapist assistants currently provide in-home care for mobility impaired individuals, as well as those who have been recently discharged from a hospital.
Physical Therapist Assistants and Eldercare
Many physical therapy assistants are involved in the eldercare sector. Because many of the elderly suffer from various types of dementia, in many cases physical therapy assistants will have to be skilled at working with individuals who may be confused, frightened or otherwise noncompliant.
For this reason, many physical therapy assistants who specialize in eldercare may require additional training to prepare them for the unique challenges in providing effective care to the elderly.
Becoming a Physical Therapy Assistant in California
California requires that all physical therapy assistants be licensed by the state before they will be allowed to practice. State licensure requires that the candidate have completed an accredited physical therapist assistant program as well as having successfully taken and passed the national physical therapy exam.
Additionally, California permits licensure by endorsement for those individuals who currently have a physical therapy assistant’s license in another state.
Physical Therapist Assistant Programs
Physical therapy assistant programs are usually offered by community colleges and vocational institutions. These programs require that the student be 18 years or older and have graduated from high school or have an equivalency degree. In most cases, successful graduates receive an associate’s degree.
Most physical therapy assistant programs allow students to attend on a part-time basis, in order to accommodate students who are currently working. Part-time schedules usually focus on evening and weekend classes, permitting the student to complete the program on his or her own terms. Some classes can also be taken online, although physical therapy assistant programs include a hands-on clinical aspect that cannot be obtained via online classes.
It is very important that the student verify that his or her program has been accredited by the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE). California does not accept physical therapy assistant coursework performed at a non-accredited institution. Students wishing to verify that their school is currently in good standing should check with CAPTE before enrolling.
Physical Therapist Assistant Schools In California
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Nursing Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- You Can Find Nursing, RN to BSN, LVN/LPN Degree Programs and More.
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and Get Matched to Your Perfect Nursing Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
The National Exam
After completion of the physical therapy assistant program, the student must take and pass the National Physical Therapy Examination (NPTE). This is a comprehensive exam that verifies the student’s professional and academic skills. A student is only permitted to take the NPTE three times in any given year and must pay the test fee for each test date. For this reason, a candidate should only take the test once he or she is confident of passing it.
The California Law Exam
Finally, the Physical Therapy Board of California requires that all candidates take the California Law Exam (CLE).
This exam is designed to evaluate the candidate’s understanding of the rights and responsibilities of the physical therapy assistant under California law. Unlike the NPTE, there is no limitation on how many times the candidate may repeat the test.
Licensure by Endorsement
An individual who is currently licensed to practice as a physical therapy assistant in another state may be licensed by endorsement. This allows the individual to simply take the CLE and register as a California physical therapy assistant. However, the individual must obtain a California license in order to practice in the state, regardless of his or her status in another state.
Physical Therapist Assistants and the Job Market
Currently, the physical therapy sector is growing at a sustained and rapid pace. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the current rate of growth in physical therapy assistant careers will see the number of available jobs increase by 45 percent until 2020.
Furthermore, this profession benefits from extremely competitive salary levels when compared to similar professions.
Becoming a physical therapy assistant allows an individual to enter a well-compensated and respected field. With the increasing important of physical therapy to the well-being of America’s citizens, this field will only continue to grow in size and importance. For these reasons, becoming a physical therapy assistant can be an excellent career choice.
Health Care Schools In California
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 87% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- BS in Health Sciences
- MA Human Services: Health & Wellness
- AA: Medical Office Assistance
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Health Informatics
- M.S. in Nursing with an Emphasis in Leadership in Health Care Systems (Bridge)
- And more...
At UEI College and United Education Institute, our supportive faculty and staff are committed to helping you build a life and a future you can be proud of! We have dedicated financial aid representatives who will meet with you one-on one-to help you explore your payment options. Tutoring is available for when you need extra help and once it’s time to look for jobs, a dedicated career services representative will help you with your resume, interview skills and employer connections!
- Medical Assistant (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Dental Assistant (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Medical Billing & Insurance Coding (10-Month Diploma Program)
- Medical Assisting
Unitek College – About Us
Unitek College™ is a privately held vocational school dedicated to helping you gain the skills needed to advance your career or begin a brand new career. Your training at Unitek College will position you to take advantage of the rising demand for experts in allied health, nursing, and technology professions. Our programs include Medical Assisting, Dental Assisting, Vocational Nursing, Practical Nursing (select locations,)and Bachelor of Science in Nursing: RN-to-BSN Degree Completion.
- Vocational Nursing
- Medical Assisting
North-West College prides itself for having modern, well-equipped facilities that are centered on the student’s experience.
North-West College (NWC) was founded in 1966 by Marsha Fuerst. Mrs. Fuerst's family has been involved in the allied health field since the early 1950's. North-West College continues to be owned and operated by Mrs. Fuerst's son Mitchell Fuerst. The Fuersts' passion for career education and their desire to provide high quality, relevant training is one of the guiding principles of the College.
Our College's mission is to prepare students in short term programs for gainful employment. To accomplish this, we furnish a professional faculty, well-qualified administrators, and a top-notch support staff. Facilities are well equipped, clean, and decorated to keep the atmosphere vibrant, friendly, and warm. The quality of education is the highest priority at the College. Students are accepted on their ability to benefit regardless for race, color, or creed.
- Vocational Nursing
- Dental Assistant
- Licensed Vocational Nurse
- Medical Assistant
- Dental Assistant
- And more...
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Medical Assistant
- Certificate - Dental Assisting
Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school—and students are at the heart of everything we do. That’s why we offer exclusive student services through your career training and beyond, beginning from the time you enroll online or at our campus in Clearwater, FL. We’ll also guide you toward the right program for your goals, and help you understand the affordability of your career training. So let us know you’re interested, and we’ll discuss how UMA can help you succeed.
Gainful employment information can be found at UltimateMedical.edu/gainful-employment and includes information on tuition, loan debt, completion, placement, and occupations.
- A.S. - Medical Billing & Coding
- Diploma - Medical Office Billing Specialist
- A.S. - Healthcare Management
Career College of Northern Nevada will equip you with the training you need to succeed.
- Medical Assistant